-
November 16th, 2001, 02:51 AM
#1
Inactive Member
So I finally dyno'd the car with the new thermal on it vs. my top fuel exhaust that I had before. Since we were really short on time, I was only able to get 2 fast runs in. Here's the story, so I pull my car onto the dyno and strapped it in and got everything ready. When I went to do the run, I realized that the car was totally cold! I didn't realize that it was sitting outside for like 3hrs. So I start trying to warm the car up on the dyno. After a min. or so, I just said screw it lets just run it cold. So we did 2 pulls right after each other. Both hit 255whp and 163trq. When we looked at the plot, we noticed that vtec is kicking in at 5700rpms vs. the set 4500rpms that it use to be at. Also I could tell that some of the timing settings were different because it the engine was still running in cold mode! 
Oh well, we figure that if we would have warmed the car up right it would have hit like 260whp and 170trq since VTEC would kick in lower and also the timing maps would give it slightly more power. Oh yeah the air/fuel was a solid 12.5 all the way across the band. Still rich, but it was in cold mode, so that kinda explains it a little.
Still though, a 15-20whp gain just from going from the Top Fuel 2.25" exhaust to the 3" thermal! Oh yeah and I figured that this was around (or slightly higher) to what my power what when I hit that 12.9sec pass a month ago.
Here's the new plot vs. some random plot that I just clicked on from awhile back:
------------------
Mike Marsey
'98 ITR #0717
Supercharged w/240whp & 166trq
Member of the 12sec club!
For all your JRSC type R questions, go to:
http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper/
For for the best dynotuning check out:
http://www.dynospotracing.com
-
November 16th, 2001, 03:11 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Thats awesome man. How do you fare against the likes of SS's?
------------------
Houston, TX
1999 FBP Civic EX auto SUPERCHARGED Performance: Jackson Racing Supercharger w/fuel pump
Air Intake w/ Hiper Filter, Heat Shield Thermal Research & Development Cat-Back Exhaust, Accel Thundersport +300 Plug wires, Nuespeed Sport Springs, APC Rear Strut Tower Bar, APC Breather Filter, VTEC Light
www.geocities.com/tom_civic99
-
November 16th, 2001, 03:19 AM
#3
Inactive Member
they are normally no porblem at all. I raced a 96 one when I had like 215whp and I beat him around 8 times in a row. Currently from a standstill, they will probally jump in 1st, but once I hit 2nd gear I normall just pull by since I rev so high and that the cars so light. Most SS's stock hit 13's to very low 13's. When you NOS then or go FI, they can fall deep into the 12's, however I have seen few around here that will do that. Most around here will do a charger, or NOS, or will have basic bolt on's. Currently I rarly will race people because very few cars hit 12's and its not worth it to me to test it out. At the drag however thats a difference story.
------------------
Mike Marsey
'98 ITR #0717
Supercharged w/255whp & 166trq
Member of the 12sec club!
For all your JRSC type R questions, go to: http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper/
For for the best dynotuning check out: http://www.dynospotracing.com
[This message has been edited by Rboosted717 (edited November 15, 2001).]
-
November 16th, 2001, 05:39 AM
#4
Inactive Member
BTW: How much was your hp-gain switching from the stock exhaust to the top fuel? I guess it was?nt that much, about only a few numbers, correct?.
I gained 20whp from the Kami header and the Thermal 3" + 310cc?s. The gain on 5.5psi is not so much like on 8. So it is pretty the same amount of power we both gained from the Thermal exhaust.
------------------
Supercharged ITR?98 @ 5.5psi
BTC unit, Apexi VAFC, K&N short ram intake, skunk2 cam gears, Kamikaze 2.5", ceramic header, Thermal 3" exhaust, RC 310 injectors, Cartech FMU, AEM FPR
13.775 seconds 0-402 meters (1/4 mile)
http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper
http://community.webshots.com/user/austriantyper check out my ride!
-
November 16th, 2001, 06:13 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I have no idea how much I got from the Top Fuel. I had that exhaust before I even had the charger on the car. I would figure the Top Fuel exhaust itself probally gave like 5whp. With the header and testpipe probally like 15whp at most. The thermal was a huge difference.
I still have more tuning on this car. The air/fuel is 12.5 across the whole band and I still have to play with the cam gears since they are at 0,0. I figure with the car warm, it will hit 260whp. Then I figure awhile back I got 3-4whp from the cam gears, so if I tune them again I might get the same or more since I now have more boost. So lets say a 5whp gain from the cam gears. Then add in alittle tuning and touching up and I might get 5whp more on top of that. Thats a total of 10whp. Add that to my 260whp and I should have close to 270whp or slightly less or more. Not bad for a stock internal type R. After that I'm gonna continue saving up for the rebuild for Spring time. Then we'll see if I can get this bad boy to 300whp! lol
------------------
Mike Marsey
'98 ITR #0717
Supercharged w/255whp & 166trq
Member of the 12sec club!
For all your JRSC type R questions, go to:
http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper/
For for the best dynotuning check out:
http://www.dynospotracing.com
-
November 16th, 2001, 06:23 AM
#6
Inactive Member
You have already jumped above the magical 300 crank-hp mark. IT would be crazy to have this amount of power to the wheels. I?ll follow you 
------------------
Supercharged ITR?98 @ 5.5psi
BTC unit, Apexi VAFC, K&N short ram intake, skunk2 cam gears, Kamikaze 2.5", ceramic header, Thermal 3" exhaust, RC 310 injectors, Cartech FMU, AEM FPR
13.775 seconds 0-402 meters (1/4 mile)
http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper
http://community.webshots.com/user/austriantyper check out my ride!
-
November 16th, 2001, 06:27 AM
#7
-
November 16th, 2001, 06:32 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Whats about the sound of your car now? Is?nt it too loud? Or do you have a cat and some kind of mid pipe resonator like me installed? Do you have the stealth version of the Thermal? Have you seen my install pics of the exhaust. Lots of welding work we have done. The compensator for exhaust moving, carsound cat, midpipe resonator, the hell! Why have I bought me the Thermal, when I?ve cut the 1/2 pipe away?
------------------
Supercharged ITR?98 @ 5.5psi
BTC unit, Apexi VAFC, K&N short ram intake, skunk2 cam gears, Kamikaze 2.5", ceramic header, Thermal 3" exhaust, RC 310 injectors, Cartech FMU, AEM FPR
13.775 seconds 0-402 meters (1/4 mile)
http://www.geocities.com/superchargedtyper
http://community.webshots.com/user/austriantyper check out my ride!
-
November 16th, 2001, 06:34 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Congrats Mike. Those numbers are just sick man, really.
Zach
------------------
94 Civic Coupe/LS Hybrid
JRSC@6psi
Turbo Convert
Import Specialty Automotive (253) 473-2606
-
November 16th, 2001, 07:21 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Good job.
------------------
Homegrown Daily Driven
11 second club
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks